As your Anaheim emergency dentist specialists, we understand your teeth are supposed to last you all through your life. Unfortunately, through accident and injury, we see lots of people who lose their natural molars.
However, there are some bad habits that can ruin your teeth as well. Here’s a list of just a few you should avoid.
- Brushing too forcefully. As an Anaheim emergency dentist specialist, we see a lot of sports injuries. However, brushing your teeth too hard is also a hazard because it can irritate the gums and even scrape away at the protective enamel on your teeth. It’s a good idea to keep your teeth clean with a regular routine. Using a soft bristled toothbrush is a good start if you’ve been wearing down your teeth in this way.
- Staying away from the dentist is another sure-fire way to head straight into some dental issues. Regular dental cleanings are the preferred way to get rid of tartar and plaque. Skip this essential step and those two culprits will build up and cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Chewing on pens or any foreign objects is another bad idea. Something as simple as absently chewing on a pen can introduce bacteria into your mouth and cause infections down the road. Even hard candies can cause small cracks in your teeth that you might not notice at first.
- Remember, many sports drinks and alcohol have tons of sugar that’s bad for your teeth. It’s not just the sugar that you need to worry about either. Alcohol has acidic properties that can wear down your enamel.
- Although it’s been widely known for years, it bears repeating here that you should stay away from tobacco. Nicotine not only turns your teeth yellow, it can cause oral cancer. Anaheim emergency dentist specialists are always interested in being proactive in helping you stay away from the habits that can harm your teeth.
Finally, it’s wise to avoid shortcuts. What we mean by this is taking the time to properly open that bag of chips or other snacks. Your teeth aren’t designed to be used as a pair of scissors and using them to rip open bags will cause damage sooner or later.
Following a good oral hygiene routine is a great way to maintain your smile for a lifetime. Why not stay in touch so that our Anaheim emergency dentist team can help?