Your Anaheim implant dentist always has your best interests in mind. That includes some steps you should be following carefully after your implants have been placed. Keep in mind you should get in touch with us if something doesn’t feel right.
You’re going to have a beautiful smile and get other benefits from these dental accessories. However, it’s important to make sure that you practice proper dental implant aftercare.
Here are some tips that you can use.
- The type of toothbrush you use matters. After you get these dental accessories you may need to switch the one you’re using. Nylon toothbrushes are best. The bristles are gentle and pliable. If there are any hard-to-reach areas, a Proxabrush works.
- There might be some minor bruising and swelling after the treatment. This usually peaks about three days later and is quite normal. Ice packs can reduce the swelling temporarily. Or, a bag of frozen peas that is wrapped in a towel works just as well. You can use either one for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time.
- An Anaheim Implant Dentist will also suggest that you floss every day. Research indicates that only 16% of Americans take part in this important dental hygiene routine. When you have dental implants, flossing every day becomes critical. Don’t let plaque buildup around your implants and cause a variety of issues.
- A warm saltwater mouthwash can be used for up to a week after your procedure. It’s very important to keep your mouth free from both bacteria and plaque. Make a basic antiseptic solution by combining a few teaspoons of salt and some warm water. You can use this for up to a week but you should consult your dentist afterward.
Here are a few more immediate aftercare tips that will come in handy after your dental implant surgery.
- For the first 24 hours after your surgery, you should eat only soft foods.
- Prescribed medications should only be taken as directed.
- Try to stay as still as possible for the first 12 hours after your surgery. It’s best to keep your head elevated in that timeframe.
- Sponges have been placed in your mouth after the procedure. If you need to control any bleeding you can bite on them.
Our Anaheim Implant Dentist is always available to answer any of your questions about aftercare. Why not get in touch with us right away so we can give you information about this procedure?